Virtual Soloist Rules
- Contestants may perform a single movement from a piece or an entire work of their choice.
- Recording must be 8 minutes or less. Please make cuts in your music as necessary.
- Solos should be appropriate to the performers skill level.
- You MAY NOT repeat your selection from another Floot Fire Competition.
- Accompaniment is NOT required. Students may perform works for flute with or without accompaniment.
- If a piece is written for flute and piano you have three options:
- Perform without accompaniment (please observe rests of two measures or less).
- Perform with recorded accompaniment or SmartMusic.
- Perform with accompaniment (live pianist, observing appropriate social distancing practices).
- There is NO penalty for performing without accompaniment.
- Flutists compete in a category based on age.
- Flute entries only (no piccolo or low flutes).
- Contestants must make new recordings for this competition. Do not submit videos from previous performances.
- US residents only.
- Void where prohibited.
- You may enter up to two solos. Additional fees apply.
Rules for Recording
- At the beginning of your recording you must say: “This is my entry for the Floot Fire Virtual Soloist Competition,” followed by your name, age, and title/composer of your piece.
- No editing! The recording must be done in one take.
- You may use whatever device is easiest for you with the best sound quality available: phone, tablet, or computer.
- Do not add reverb to your recording.
- Caption your video with your name and category. Examples: Kim Clark, Elementary or Sally Smith_Junior
- Find a quiet space for your recording.
- Please limit visual distractions such as highly decorated walls and personal items.
- Dress nicely, you are on camera!
- Try to get as much of your body and instrument in the frame as possible. We want to see you perform!
- Use an external mic to improve your sound quality if possible. (not required)
- Listen to your recording before you hit submit!
- Click on the green button below and fill out the application on our website.
- Upload your video to any open source video sharing platform (Youtube, etc.). You may set your viewing options as PUBLIC or UNLISTED. Be sure that whatever setting you choose allows for a working shared link.
- Provide a link to your video on the application. Be sure it works!!!!!
- If possible, upload a scanned copy of the music score (the flute and piano part) to a file sharing platform (like Google Drive) and provide a link. This step is not required but helps our judges provide more thorough comments. We recommend you delete the file after the winners are announced.
If you would like to participate in our Audience Favorite category, post your video on Facebook or Instagram for a chance to win! This portion of the competition is not required; Audience Favorite is a separate honor. To participate in Audience Favorite you must first submit your solo entry on our contest website and pay all applicable fees.
How to Enter Audience Favorite *(Rules subject to change)
- You can enter on Facebook or Instagram
- Post your video on your own page or parent’s page with the hashtags #flootsoloist and #flootfire
- Label it as a Floot Fire Virtual Soloist Audience Favorite entry
- Be sure to set your post to “public” so more people can see it!
- Ask your friends and family to “like” your post
- The person with the most likes will receive a Floot Fire book of their choice!
- Random winners will receive Floot Fire swag
- Voting closes May 11, 11:59 pm Eastern
We are no longer using Twitter or the Woobox platform. Rules updated 2021
- Entry Fee: $25 per solo
- No refunds will be offered after an application has been submitted.